Serious Sound in a Small, Beautiful Package
Bookshelf speakers offer you the flexibility to place them in tight spaces, but they typically don’t have the same huge sound as floorstanders. Not so with the Audioengine HDP6. You’ll be delighted to hear that they project a soundstage usually found in large flagship speakers. Beautiful and small, place them in an out-of-the-way nook in your living room, mount them in your home theater, or place them on stands in your den. Anywhere you want them, their performance will impress you as they tastefully coordinate with almost any decor.
Audioengine HDP6 Features
- Proprietary Audioengine 5.5 inch woofers are built on a solid diecast aluminum foundation. Their advanced underhung voice coils drive the motors, and are appointed with flared kevlar cones and supple butyl rubber surrounds, which dissipate unwanted cone resonances.
- Ferrofluid-cooled silk dome tweeters are driven with neodymium magnets. These tweeters hold up well under high power and give a very smooth response thanks to their edge-driven design.
- Heavy duty 20mm MDF is used throughout the construction of our rigid braced cabinets. They’re engineered with the proper stiffness, mass and dampness to clearly and accurately reproduce sound without creating parasitic resonances.
- Beautiful furniture-grade hardwood veneer cabinet finishes with sleek aluminum trim accents, available in Walnut and Cherry. For a look that blends more deeply into the background, choose a Satin Black automotive finish. Stylish grills magnetically attach to protect the drivers without diffracting or diffusing the sound.
- Innovative slotted rear bass venting ports eliminate wave turbulence, easily transitioning the low frequency energy from the speaker cabinet into your room. With this design, HDP6 delivers smooth, natural and surprisingly deep bass from such a small speaker.
Custom 5.5” Kevlar woofers with die cast aluminum woofer baskets
Custom 1” silk tweeters with neodymium magnets and ferrofluid-cooled voice coils
Hand-built cabinets with furniture-grade finishesDetachable magnetic speaker grills
5-way gold-plated binding posts
Threaded inserts to secure speakers to stands
Passive crossovers with upgraded components
Digital hybrid amplifiers (Class-D, Class-T, etc.)
Stereo and surround sound receivers, integrated amps, tube amplifiers
Whole-house music systems such as the Sonos ZonePlayer 120
What’s in the box
(2) Audioengine HDP6 Passive Speakers
(2) Drawstring Cloth Speaker Bags
(2) High-density foam isolation pads (attached)
(1) Setup Guide
(1) Product line brochure
Satin Black Paint
Cherry Wood Veneer
Walnut Wood Veneer
Materials and construction
¾” (20mm) thick MDF cabinets
1″ (25mm) silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets
5.5″ (140mm) Kevlar woofers with advanced voice coils and diecast aluminum frames
2-way passive, rear ported design
10-150W per channel
5.5″ Kevlar woofers 1″ silk dome tweeters
20mm thick MDF cabinets
Gold-plated, 5-way binding posts
Operating temperature: 32° to 95°F
Non-operating temperature: -4° to 113°F
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
5.5 kg (12.5 lbs)
Total shipping weight
14.5 kg (32 lbs)
300 (H) x 185 (W) x 250 mm (D) (11.75 x 7.25 x 10″)
Shipping box dims
430 (H) x 510 (W) x 380 mm (D) (17 x 20 x 15″)
Satin Black, Walnut Veneer, Cherry Veneer
Wall or Ceiling Mount
HDP6 speakers include two standard 1/4″ threaded inserts on the bottom of each HDP6 cabinet for attaching a speaker mount or bracket. We recommend using products by companies such as OmniMount or Sanus. Before installing mounts or brackets make sure you consult all documentation and carefully follow the installation instructions.
Audioengine designs and manufactures our own speaker drivers and other critical components. In other words, the HDP6 is not a “box-built” system with off-the-shelf parts, but includes custom-designed components constructed to our specifications. What we do not fabricate directly inside our factories we have made to our specific designs – parts such as circuit boards, transformers, magnets, and wiring harnesses, for example.
Audioengine uses audiophile-quality, ferrofluid-cooled silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets. Silk tweeters hold up well under high power and the edge-driven design gives very smooth response. The woofers are Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surrounds. Kevlar is obviously very strong, which means the woofer retains its shape when being driven at high levels. The HDP6 woofers are housed in cast aluminum frames which provide high rigidity and increased heat dispersion.
To minimize unwanted resonances and distortion, Audioengine cabinets have thick high-resin MDF walls with extensive internal bracing. Heavy internal sound-damping material is used to reduce unwanted sound reflections inside the cabinet. All cabinet edges are rounded which look great and reduce high-frequency diffraction effects on the front baffles. The HDP6 cabinet contains tuned, rear-port slots.
The HDP6 cabinets are available in several handsome finishes, including walnut and cherry veneers as well as satin black paint, offering a wide choice for complementing room furnishings. Also included are detachable grills that add further aesthetic advantages as they are firmly held in place with hidden neodymium magnets for a clean look.
Both drivers are directly magnetically shielded which allow you to place the speakers within a few inches of a video monitor. This shielding also offers protection for hard drive-based digital music players.